Oh how time flies. This week marks our one-year anniversary of being Coloradoans (well, I still consider myself a Texan but you get the point). This time last year we were making the move from Dallas to Denver, and to commemorate the occasion, I thought I’d put together a list of things I’ve really come to appreciate about Colorado.
1. My very neighborly neighborhood. After a bit of searching before the actual move, we settled on the Stapleton area. After several months of temporary housing, we moved into our home just before Christmas (that in and of itself was a huge Christmas gift – a family of four plus a dog in a two-bedroom apartments makes for a very cramped situation). There are a lot of great things about our new neighborhood, but the best thing – by far – is the awesomeness of our neighbors. Everyone is so friendly! The kids are always outside playing with each other and on any given Friday or Saturday evening, the parents can be found on someone’s front porch sipping wine or drinking beer and enjoying great conversation.
2. Lots and lots of open space. Before we moved to Colorado, I had never really heard the term ‘open space’. In Texas, it seemed like there was a law that said for every square mile there must also be a grocery store, Wal-Mart or Target and nail shop. This is not the case in Denver, where it is very apparent that there is a focus on having open space – parks, trails, walkways etc.
3. It’s not that cold (most of the time). The one thing that we were most nervous about before we moved was the weather. We had been told that it “really isn’t as cold as you might think”, but every scenic picture I had ever seen of Denver seemed to show a good three feet of snow on the ground. Well, now that our first winter is behind us, I can honestly say that while it does in fact get pretty doggone cold, the sun is almost always shining. And, when it does get really, really cold, it only lasts a day or two and then there will be a 50 degree day (which feels amazing in the dead of winter, trust me :-))
4. Mountains, mountains and more mountains. There really isn’t much to say here other than that the mountains are absolutely gorgeous…and they are everywhere! I am still amazed by the fact that we can drive for an hour and be in the middle of a wonderful natural beauty.
5. Everybody exercises – outside! Now don’t get me wrong, there are definitely a good amount of gyms and yoga studios but people in Denver really make an effort to get outside. You can’t drive a mile and not see someone out running or biking. I find this to be extremely motivating. For the first time in my adult life, I found myself running outside throughout the entire winter.